Do I need to register?

Most likely, yes. Every foreign citizen who is coming to Belarus, unless exempt from the procedure, has 5 days (excluding Sundays and holidays) to register. Therefore, if you’re not planning to stay for more than 5 days, then no need to bother.

Who is exempt from registration?

Citizens of Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania and Latvia are exempt from registration for a stay of up to 30 days. Also, members of official delegations and their foreign staff do not require registration.

How do I register?

Easy. As was stated before, the procedure is relatively simple.

  • If you’re staying at a hotel, a sanatorium, еtc., the registration should be handled by a hotel clerk during check-in. It’s going to take a few minutes and is free of charge. You’ll be asked for your passport, migration card, and insurance. Your migration will be stamped and that’s it, all done.
  • If you’re staying at a private apartment or at your friend’s or relative’s, you’ll have to go to the nearest Department of Citizenship and Migration of the Ministry of Internal Affairs with your passport, migration card and insurance, and a request from the owner of the place at which you are staying. There, you’ll fill in an application and pay a fee of 0.5 base value (11.5 BYN or about $6). Refugees, minors under the age of 14, and tourists (people coming to Belarus for a tour) are exempt from paying the fee. You’ll have your migration card stamped and that’s it.

Note: the Department official might request that you prove you have enough funds for the duration of your stay in Belarus. Cash (BYN or foreign currency exchangeable in Belarus), bank statement, invitation from a friend, relative or legal entity covering your expenses, hotel booking and tickets home should suffice.

Word of advice: ask a local, like your friend or relative, to accompany you in case the department officials’ English is lacking.

If you’re a guest of a foreign embassy or consulate, or an international organization, and stay with their head or staff, or in the building belonging to the organization, your registration is handled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I moved to a new residence. Should I re-register?

Yes. You have 5 days (excluding Sundays and holidays) to register at your new place in the nearest Department of Citizenship and Migration of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.

What if I don’t register?

You’ll get fined for 500 EUR upon leaving the country.

List of Departments of Citizenship and Migration of the Ministry of Internal Affairs addresses and phone numbers:

  • Brest - 17, Kommercheskaya str, +375162521335
  • Vitebsk - 41A, Frunze avenue, +375212604477
  • Gomel  - 45A, Lenin avenue, +375232710947
  • Grodno - 3, Karbysheva str. (2nd floor), +375152797313
  • Minsk - 48B, Independence avenue, +375173318168; 29, Kalvariyskaya str, +375172290330
  • Mogilev - 25, Karl Marx str., +375222295117

For a full list, follow this link (Russian only).

The registration process is extremely simple, and doesn’t take much time or money, so if you have to register, there’s no reason not to just do it. So get going and get registered!

Text by Michael Feller